By ISKCON News Staff | Jan 28, 2022
These are the six (sat) methods by which sesame seeds (tila) are utilized for religious purification on this Ekadashi. Therefore it’s referred to as Sat-tila Ekadashi:
(1) bathe within the water blended with sesame seeds,
(2) rub sesame seed paste on his physique,
(3) supply sesame seeds into the fireplace in sacrifice,
(4) eat sesame seeds,
(5) give sesame seeds away in charity,
(6) settle for charitable presents of sesame seeds.
– from the narration of the glories of Magh-Krishna Ekadashi, or Sat-tila Ekadashi, from the sacred Bhavishya-Uttara Purana of Srila Krishna Dwaipayana Vyasa.